Job Title: Care Assistant
Responsible To: Registered Nurse/Senior Carer
Purpose of the position: To meet the personal care needs of the Clients in a manner which respects their dignity and privacy, and promotes their independence. To help with the general day-to-day activities of the Home.
Physical Requirements: To perform your daily duties you will be required to be active and on your feet for periods of time, some aspects of your job will require you to bend, kneel and reach. You will be required to perform your duties with speed and mental dexterity at all times regardless of the task or level of business.
Educational/ Qualification requirements: NVQ or QCF Level 2 preferable.
Personal Requirements: The successful applicant will need to be:
- Self motivated
- Well organised
- Sensitive to the needs of others
- An active team player who can also work well on own initiative
- A good communicator
All staff will be subject to a satisfactory DBS check.
All staff are required to respect the confidentiality of all matters that they might learn in the course of their employment. All staff are expected to respect the requirements under the Data Protection Act 1998. All staff must ensure that they are aware of their responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work, etc Act 1974.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- To comply with the Home’s Health and Safety, CSSIW, COSHH and Environmental Health regulations.
- All new members of staff will need to complete an induction and probationary period.
- To read, understand and comply with the Home’s safeguarding policy and understand their responsibilities in reporting all concerns to the Manager or their deputy.
- To complete relevant training.
- To attend and contribute to staff meetings which are mandatory. You must inform the Manager if you are unable to attend.
- To maintain confidentiality in all aspects of your care and work within the Home.
- To have a working knowledge of the Home’s policies and procedures in respect to your job.
- To assist Clients with personal care which includes: using the bath, bed bath or shower; foot and nail care; shampooing/ conditioning hair; shaving; combing or
brushing hair; oral hygiene care; denture care; helping the Client in using a bedpan and /or toilet, urinal, portable commode; preparing for bed, getting out of bed, washing and dressing.
- To assist Clients with mobility problems and other physical disabilities including incontinence.
- To help the Client with physical and mental activities- these could include talking to them, taking them out for a walk or day trip, reading to them, writing on their behalf, assisting them with their hobbies and recreational activities.
- To make and change beds, tidy rooms, carry out light cleaning chores and empty commodes.
- To inspect Clients’ clothing and report any defects.
- Support Senior members of staff with day to day service user records
- Assist with serving meals and other domestic duties that you are qualified to undertake. This includes setting tables and trays, feeding Clients who need help, preparing light meals and carrying out some washing tidying up.
- Be on standby to answer emergency bells, greet visitors, answer the telephone and door.
- Ensure that care notes and any other form of written report that affects your work are read and kept up to date.
- Take part in internal and external ongoing training as required.
- To comply with the Home’s guidelines and policies at all times.
- To report to the Home Manager any significant changes in the health or circumstances or a Client.
Note- This list is not exhaustive. In addition to the duties/ responsibilities listed above it may be necessary to perform other duties not listed. Consideration will be given to your skills and status when requesting you perform these duties.