Job Title: Ambulance Care Assistant
Location: South Witham or any other base that may be required within a 50 mile radius
Remuneration: Pay Scale Band 1 to 3
Accountable to: General Manager
Your main responsibility is for driving or assisting on a non-emergency patient transport ambulance transporting sick, injured or convalescent persons, and transporting children who may have disabilities to appointments and schools or home.
The job purpose is to provide and maintain a caring environment for these patients and provide a transport service as appropriate for the needs of the patient.
Your responsibilities include:
- Moving and handling patients under non-emergency conditions, using appropriate equipment where necessary
- Carry out risk assessments to assess hazards, then implement safe systems of work and reduce risks to yourself, patients and other persons involved
- Complete a vehicle check before every duty including the working order and cleanliness of the vehicle
- Report defects and deficiencies of the vehicle and equipment, and replace all items of vehicle inventory used
- Remove and replace soiled linen and equipment in order to maintain sanitary conditions
- Providing social care in non-emergency situations
- Ensure that health and safety guidelines are followed according to current policies and procedures
- In the event of an incident you may be required to administer first aid commensurate to your training
- Report facts concerning accidents or incidents to office and hospital personnel
- To be responsible for adhering to the companies security policy whilst using or in the proximity of any company computer or medical equipment
- You must work within the confines of the said and stated Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). You must ensure that the above responsibilities are met and such other duties and tasks as are allocated to you at the discretion of the Company that are within your capabilities and within the scope of your post. The Company reserves the right to review your performance on a regular basis. You will unless prevented by ill health devote the whole of your working time attention and abilities to the business of the Company.
- Cleaning the vehicle and equipment as required during down time and before and after shifts.
You will be required to work as part of a rota and this will include day, evening, nights (min) and weekend work. Human Touch is an equal opportunity employer
Equality and Diversity
Human Touch Ambulance Ltd is committed to the fair treatment of all people, regardless of their gender, race, colour, ethnicity, ethnic or national origin, citizenship, religion, disability, mental health needs, age, domestic circumstances, social class, sexuality, beliefs, political allegiance or trades union membership.
Ambulance Care Assistant (ACA)
Qualifications / Training:
- Current UK Driving Licence held over 5 years - preferable
- C1 Driving Licence - essential
- Current First Aid at Work Certificate - ideal (or equivalent)
- Experience of working in an ambulance or care environment
- Experience of driving a vehicle larger than a car on a regular basis
- Experience of driving up to 75 tonne
Knowledge / Technical Skills:
- An understanding of the role as a Patient Transport Driver
Essential Personal Skills:
- Commitment to the provision of an efficient and effective service
- Receptive to new ideas and a willingness to accept change
- Ability to write clearly and concisely
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Commitment to on-going training and assessment to maintain competency in all skills
- High standard of professional appearance with a complete understanding and commitment to the uniform policy
- Commitment to uphold the high values of the Company at all times
- Current driving licence must have no penalty points (3 may be possibly under certain circumstances)
- This post will be subject to fully enhanced DBS Check
- This post is subject to good references from current or most recent employer (information must be provided with email addresses on application form)
- As this post involves physical work, post-holder must maintain a satisfactory level of physical fitness
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see applying from overseas.
To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs (https://www.safer-jobs.com), a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.