Deputy Manager (RMN) Job Description
To oversee / maintain the care of Clients within the Care Centre. In the absence of the Home Manager, to take responsibility for the day-to-day running of the Care Centre, and ensure that all Company policies and procedures, and all legal requirements, are carried out.
- Ensure all Staff Members contribute to the best of their ability to the efficient running of the Care Centre, and to the creation of an atmosphere conductive to the best interests of Clients.
- In a Nursing Care setting, interact with Clients to ensure that their health care needs are being met and resolve any problems where appropriate. In a Residential Care setting, liaise with the District Nurse regarding Clients’ health care needs.
- Report any ill-health amongst Clients and make requests for GP / Professional visits where necessary.
- Ensure meals are of sufficient quantity and good quality, and that Client’s dietary needs are met.
- Undertake general nursing work & personal care as appropriate.
- Administer prescribed medicines and maintain the necessary records as per Company guidelines.
- Support and assist the Home Manager in auditing Care Plan documentation, to ensure best practice.
- Practice maximum integrity in all dealings with Clients' personal and financial affairs, and avoid abuse of the privileged relationship that exists with Clients.
- Maintain effective communications with the Home Manager.
- As requested by, and/or in the absence of, the Home Manager maintain effective communications with Clients, Relatives, Staff Members, Operations Manager, Divisional Office and any other concerned bodies.
- Obtain a report from the Person in Charge, and advise the Home Manager, regarding any incident/accident, and the status of any Clients whose care / health is causing concern.
- Supervise visits and liaise with GPs in order to establish a good relationship between GPs / Health Care Professionals and the Care Centre.
- Ensure a clear and concise handover report is given to all Staff Members.
- Arrange / participate in Staff and Client meetings as and when required.
Budgetary / Financial Control:
- Manage, monitor and maintain budgets agreed by the Home Manager and Divisional Office. Where necessary, in the absence of the Home Manager, take corrective action in conjunction with the Operations Manager.
- Ensure that all commodities used in and around the Care Centre are sensibly conserved by all Staff Members.
Human Resources (HR):
- Adhere to, and implement, all HR policies & procedures.
- In the absence of the Home Manager, in conjunction with the Operations Manager, endeavour to fill any Staff vacancy by advertising in the job centre or by contacting the HR Department. Interview for new Staff Members with the Home Manager as and when required, in line with the Company’s Recruitment policy.
- In the absence of the Home Manager, maintain correct records of working hours of all Staff Members.
- In the absence of the Home Manager, monitor and control sickness absence in line with Company policy (in conjunction with the Operations Manager, where appropriate).
- Ensure all Staff Members are aware of the Company’s Whistleblowing procedure.
- In the absence of the Home Manager, implement and manage the Company’s Discipline and Dismissal policies and procedures, and Grievance policies and procedures (in conjunction with the Operations Manager, where appropriate).
- Assist the Home Manager with formal supervision / appraisal of Staff Members in line with Company policy, and with on-going informal assessment of the work of Staff Members, to ensure consistently high standards.
- Implement and initiate training for all Staff Members on the Company’s Equal Opportunities policy.
- In the absence of the Home Manager, organise workload by forward planning off duty to ensure that there is sufficient Staff cover, and deal with problems where necessary.
- In the absence of the Administrator and Home Manager, ensure continuity of the Payroll.
- Actively market the Care Centre and promote a positive personal / professional profile within the local community, ensuring the good reputation of the Care Centre at all times.
- In the absence of the Home Manager, and in conjunction with the Operations Manager, endeavour tofill any Client vacancy by liaising with Social Services and health authorities/boards and assessing/selecting suitable Clients. (These places are to be offered within the normal terms of residency and the fee structure in operation within the Care Centre at the time).
- Ensure the Care Centre is attractively presented, and odour free, at all times, in line with the Company’s attention to detail philosophy.
- Ensure a viewing room is suitably presented and available at all times (unless Care Centre is fully occupied).
Training & Development:
- Supervise and instruct junior and new Staff Members in all aspects of their work in the Care Centre, giving help and guidance where appropriate and assisting in keeping records up to date.
- Maintain and improve professional knowledge and competence.
- Attend mandatory training days/courses, on or off site, as and when required.
Health & Safety:
- Report immediately to the Home Manager any illness of an infectious nature or accident incurred by a Client, colleague, self or another. Be responsible for infection control in the absence of the Home Manager.
- Understand, and ensure the implementation of, the Care Centre’s Health & Safety policy, and Emergency & Fire procedures.
- In the absence of the Home Manager, carry out duties as "Responsible Officer" for the Care Centre in line with CSCI/Care Commission guidelines, the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) and Fire Regulations.
- Report to the Home Manager, or the Handyperson, any faulty appliances, damaged furniture, equipment or any potential hazard.
- Promote safe working practice within the Care Centre.
- Adhere to all appropriate NMC guidelines / regulations and the General Social Care Council Code of Conduct.
- Ensure that all existing stocks are maintained in a safe and tidy environment and reorder as and when required.
- Maintain such log books and records as may be required by both the Registering Authority and the Directors of the Company.
- Be ‘on-call’, for emergencies, which may arise within the Care Centre, and to cover shifts if all other avenues have been exhausted.
- Ensure that all information of a confidential nature gained in the course of work is not divulged to third parties.
- Assist in the arrangements for fund raising.
- Notify the Home Manager (or, in the absence of the Home Manager, the Operations Manager) as soon as possible of your inability to report for duty, and also on your return to work from all periods of absence.
- In absence of the Home Manager report directly to the Operations Manager.
- Ensure the security of the Care Centre is maintained at all times
- Adhere to all Company policies and procedures within the defined timescales.
- Ensure all equipment is clean and well maintained.
- Carry out any other tasks that may be reasonably assigned to you.
This Job Description indicates only the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
Skills, Knowledge and Qualifications
- 1st Level Nurse (Nursing Care Centre) or NVQ Level 3 in Care of the Elderly (Residential Care Centre)
- Previous management/supervisory experience
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Team player
- Genuine interest in working with the relevant Client group
- Satisfactory Police Check and check against the POVA List (where applicable)
- Care for the Elderly experience / qualification
Minimum two years management / supervisory experience
Closing date - 6th November