Kitchen Assistant - AUG
St Augustine's, Stoke on Trent
£720 per hour
The Cambian Group is the UK’s largest provider of specialist services in education,mental health rehabilitation and learning disabilities.
St Augustine’s Hospital
A purpose built 32-bed hospital specialising in psychiatric rehabilitation and recovery for men aged 18-65. St Augustine’s provides state of the art facilities for patients to assist them with their return to independent living. The service offers the perfect environment for individuals to engage in community based rehabilitation and recovery.
We offer excellent training and career progression opportunities as well as a variety of staff benefits.
Employee discount scheme
Cycle to work scheme
Employee assistance programme
Internal/external training on new initiatives
Meals during working day
Enhanced maternity pay
Purpose and summary of job:
To organise and control the efficient and economic production of quality food within the allowed budget, whilst ensuring high standards of cleanliness and hygiene are maintained.
For new appointments, a selection panel will assess each of the points below against what you have written on the application form – so, as a job applicant, you should explain, by using examples from previous jobs, voluntary work or whilst you were in education, how you match these points.
To do this job effectively a person will need:-
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Liaise with the Hospital Manager when planning/costing menus in order to provide a balanced nutritious diet, making the best use of fresh foods, as available.
- Prepare, cook and serve meals, hot and cold, as appropriate. Responsible for maintaining and managing the food budget.
- Provide special diets where necessary as well as taking into account the preferences of individual Clients.
- To support the development of the process, practices and delivery of Active Recovery Care and Recovery.
- Be responsible for the washing up after meals and the overall cleaning of the kitchen and where appropriate the dining area.
- Maintain an accurate record / list of food supplies, freezer temperatures requirements, etc. where requested / required.
- Order stocks and check deliveries, as well as check and value stocks as required by the Hospital Manager.
- Ensure statutory Health and Safety standards in the kitchen and dining areas.
- Report immediately to the Hospital Manager any illness of an infectious nature or accident incurred by a Client, Colleague, self or another.
- Understand and ensure the implementation of the Hospital’s Health and Safety Policy, Emergency and Fire Procedures.
- Ensure the security of the Hospital is maintained at all times
- Adhere to all Group policies and procedures within the defined timescales, NCSC standards and guidelines, Department of Health guidelines and legislation, including the Mental Health Act and Code of Practice.
- Knowledge of nutrition.
- Knowledge of dietary requirements (ie Halal/diabetic/vegan).
Skills and experience
- Good communication.
- Ability to plan nourishing and attractive menus within available budgets
- Team player / Works on own initiative.
- At The Time of Appointment
- NVQ2 or equivalent or evidence of the same experience in catering.
- Basic Food / Hygiene Certificate.
- NVQ3 or evidence of same.
- Intermediate Food Hygiene Certificate.
- Hospitality experience.
- Experience of preparing fresh food to cover 3 main meal times.
- Experience of working in a care environment.
Please click Apply to proceed
To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs (https://www.safer-jobs.com), a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.