Due to expansion at Peninsula Treatment Centre and the addition of a third theatre and a 2 suite endoscopy unit; we are currently looking for a pre-assessment Nurse to join our dedicated team.
Peninsula NHS Treatment Centre in Plymouth offers high quality elective surgery for the local populations of Devon & Cornwall. We specialise in hip and knee joint replacements, shoulder repair, hand and elbow surgery, foot surgery and minor Orthopaedic procedures. We also deliver Ophthalmology, General and ENT surgery.
Our centre offers an expanding service in a friendly environment that is calm and the staff dedicated and professional. Our facilities are state-of-the-art with a mixture of theatres, treatment rooms and an endoscopy suite. With us, you will be able to focus on what really matters; delivering a high standard of patient care. You will also be able to benefit from our fully supported training programmes, on site café and free parking.
Reporting to the Outpatient Manager, you will function as a clinical practitioner within the outpatient and pre-assessment service and will take responsibility for the delivery of patient care.
Key duties to include:
• Undertaking physical examination and history taking in order to assess suitability for elective procedure and to identify risk factors
• Carrying out appropriate clinical investigations according to agreed protocols to aid thorough assessment of the patient prior to admission e.g. bloods, ECG, MRSA swabbing, MSU
• Performing a thorough nursing assessment of patients including active planning of patient discharge by liaising with relevant members of the multi-disciplinary team
• Collaborating with the medical staff to ensure that patients are medically cleared for surgery thereby reducing the number of patient cancellations.
Skills & Experience
To be successful in this role you will have:
• Recent experience at Band 5 or equivalent in an acute surgical setting
• Experience in a pre-assessment/outpatient setting
• The ability to teach/train/ develop Health Care Assistants
• Familiarity with Safety and Infection control policy and procedures
• NMC Registered Nurse Part 1
• Basic/ Intermediate Life Support Skills
• ECG, Venepuncture training
Please note that offers of employment are subject to receipt of satisfactory references and a DBS check.
At Care UK, we actively promote diversity and equal opportunities.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see applying from overseas.
To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs (https://www.safer-jobs.com), a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.