Senior Care Assistant Job Description
Purpose: To assist with the resident’s care plan, supervising the caring team whilst working as an integral part of the caring team, delivering the highest standards of personalised care to residents. Ensure that at all times residents are treated with respect an
- To provide the highest level of personal care and attention to residents, following individual care plans carefully and ensuring that all contact is polite, friendly, warm and supportive. To act as a key worker for a named group of residents, ensuring that these responsibilities are carried out in full (as defined in the training manual).
- To understand and comply with statutory and legal requirements which are relevant such as Health & Safety, COSHH, all aspects of the Care Standards Act, to maintain a safe environment throughout the home.
- To participate in the formulation and maintenance of individual care plans for each resident and administer medication to residents as prescribed, accurately maintaining appropriate records for both.
- To liaise with other care professionals relating to the care needs of the residents.
- To always be alert to residents physical and mental well being, immediately reporting any changes in a resident’s condition to a senior person on duty, and to accurately maintain and update residents’ records as required.
- To respect and maintain confidentiality of resident’s personal information at all times, this includes resident’s behaviour and actions and any incidents that may occur in the course of day to day care.
- Be understanding and patient towards residents and their needs, and encourage, assist and support residents to participate in leisure activities as appropriate to the individual, ensuring their social and emotional needs are met. This also includes escorting residents to outside appointments and leisure outings.
- Responsible for making and changing beds, tidying resident’s rooms (with the resident’s permission) undertaking light cleaning duties as needed and generally assisting in ensuring that the Orchard Home is kept clean, pleasant and welcoming at all times.
- Helping to serve meals and drinks at meal times and other times when required, taking care to present meals and refreshments in an appealing way, with polite and courteous service. To be understanding with residents who need assistance with feeding and provide the appropriate level of support and help.
- To be an active and encouraging member of the Care team, contribute to team meetings, ensuring good communication and participate in the induction and training of newly appointed care assistants, ensuring that the Orchard Care Home is a friendly and supportive working environment.
Skills, Knowledge and Qualifications:
- Experience of working in a caring environment
- NVQ2 in Direct Care
- Good numeric and literacy skills
- A warm and friendly disposition
- Good communication skills, able to put others at ease
- A strong team worker
- Supervisory/leadership skills
- Supportive and patient
- Reliable and punctual
- Willingness to develop new skills (to NVQ 3)
- Minimum of 2 years relevant experience is required.