Job Title: Band 6 Sister / Charge Nurse
For: Emergency Department
Responsible To: Matron Emergency Department
Base: Wythenshawe Hospital
Summary of Role:
This is a clinical expert role whereby, the post holder will be responsible for the provision of quality patient care within the Emergency Department.
As a clinical expert the post holder will be expected to provide leadership and work in collaboration with the multidisciplinary team.
The post holder will have a specialist interest in teaching and development and support mandatory and in house training.
• Adhere to the Nursing and Midwifery Code of Conduct and all associated guidelines.
• Be responsible for the integration into practice of Trust and departmental policies and procedures.
• Contribute to the development of policies and procedures within the Emergency department.
• Act as a positive role model for all staff by demonstrating clinical excellence in the delivery of patient centered care.
• Provide leadership in the delivery of quality patient centered care.
• Provide clinical leadership and act as a role model in the delivery of high standards of nursing care and effective management of the unit.
• Support the Directorate in the introduction of new developments
• Support the Modern Matron in upholding and maintaining professional standards and multidisciplinary working.
• Develop and participate in all issues pertinent to clinical governance within the department
• Take a lead role in the ongoing development of clinical pathways and their implementation within the unit.
• Demonstrate a working knowledge and application of Trust policies, procedures and guidelines.
• Demonstrate and plan efficient and effective resources to maximize delivery of care..
• Ensure adequate staffing levels through appropriate use of bank and agency using departmental guidelines.
• Participate in the recruitment and selection of new staff.
• Be proactive in the management of sickness and absence adhering to Trust guidelines.
• Actively participate in the clinical supervision of multidisciplinary staff in the unit.
• Fully participate in the resolution of complaints in line with the Trust and departmental policy, utilising a positive approach to customer care.
• Take a lead role in the management of the multidisciplinary team on a daily basis.
• Act as a source of expert knowledge for junior staff.
• Demonstrate effective communication skills within the multidisciplinary team and in collaboration with external agencies.
• Support the Modern Matron in the maintenance of high standards of cleanliness.
• Participating in the ongoing review and evaluation of nursing policy, practice and performance, making recommendations for change.
• Be fully conversant with the roles and responsibilities of the Senior Nurse in the event of a major incident.
• Demonstrate effective leadership in the coordination of admissions and discharges to achieve the 4 hour trolley wait target within the main department.
• Contribute to the development of policies, guidelines and clinical pathways for the clinical area.
• Actively participate in change management to implement and promote service improvements and encourage continued evaluation.
• Act as mentor for a team of nurses using Knowledge and Skills Framework.
• Attend meetings of behalf of the Directorate and provide feedback.
• Provide excellent quality nursing care by fully participating in the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of nursing care.
• Take a lead role in monitoring the action of others to whom responsibility of patient care has been delegated.
• Foster a good working relationship with other departments and multidisciplinary team to provide high standard of care.
• Utilise evidence-based practice to ensure delivery of optimum standards of care.
• Undertake practice sensitive to the need of patients from multi cultural backgrounds.
• Ensure patient documentation is accurate and defensible in accordance with Trust policy.
• Act as a expert source of knowledge to facilitate optimum patient care delivery.
• Perform and assess extended roles within the clinical area to improve the quality of patient care, ( i.e. venepuncture, cannulation, x-ray requesting,)
• Demonstrate competence in the use of all equipment in the clinical area in accordance with Trust policies, reporting faults as necessary.
• Assist in the checking, recording, and ordering and safe custody of drugs, and be able to demonstrate an ability to safely administer all drugs prescribed , in line with Trust/NMC guidelines.
• Demonstrate the mandatory competencies of the Trust, attending all required mandatory updates.
• Demonstrate responsibility for own Professional Development using Personal Development Plan and Professional Portfolio.
• Support the dissemination and implementation of research/evidence based practice.
• Contribute to the development, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of standards in effective patient care.
• Ensure a conducive learning environment for all multidisciplinary team members working within the clinical area.
• Take an active role in appropriate multidisciplinary clinical audit.
• Offer educational support to students working in a specialised clinical area.
• Attend regular mentorship updates as per Trust policy.
• In partnership with the Senior Nurse, Modern Matron and Nurse consultant assist in the implementation of induction/ orientation programmes for new staff.
Health and Safety:
• Act at all times to assess and minimize risk within the workplace.
• Adhere to Trust and Departmental health and safety policies and use of any equipment or personal protective equipment provided to ensure safety.
• Co-operate with managers to maintain safe systems and safe workplaces.
• Report any accidents/incidents or ill health, failings in premises, equipment or personal protective equi
PLEASE NOTE: UHSM is committed to supporting its current employees move into new roles as a result of organisational change or other circumstances. We therefore reserve the right to prioritise current staff who may need to be redeployed into this role.
UHSM has five core PEOPLE values. These values bring together our very talented team and they guide us in the way we work.
Patient first – we put our patients and customers first. We aim to exceed their expectations every time to earn their trust and loyalty.
E xcellence – we are dedicated to developing excellence. We strive to continuously improve the quality of care we give to our patients.
One team– we aim to attract, excite, develop and retain exceptional people. We work as one team, delivering our best to our patients by supporting each other.
oPen – we embrace innovation and learn from our mistakes. We measure everything we do and we openly share information.
Leadership – we believe in leadership at all levels. We demonstrate personal courage and role model the behaviour we expect from others.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Applications from job seekers who require Tier 2 sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. The UK Visas and Immigration department requires employers to complete this test to show that no suitably qualified EEA or EU worker can fill the post. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see applying from overseas.
To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs (https://www.safer-jobs.com), a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.