We are recruiting for a Paediatric Phlebotomist/HCA on a part time basis for 15 hours per week to join our fantastic Paediatric team.
At The Cromwell, we have a dedicated Paediatric Outpatient service, we operate six days a week for appointments with both general and specialist paediatricians. We offer a fast referral service meaning an appointment can be arranged with a paediatrician the same day. Our specially trained paediatric staff are available to carry out a range of activities ranging from immunisations to specialist investigations and procedures
You will provide a high quality service, to any children and young people, who require venepuncture / capillary blood sampling and / or cannulation. This includes the safe collection and management of patient specimens with minimal discomfort or distress to the child or young person and their carer. In addition to this, you will contribute in the delivery of holistic care needs to the patients and family, providing assistance within the team in ensuring a high standard of nursing care. Who we're looking for
- NVQ Level 2 (Direct Patient Care) or equivalent
- Accredited Phlebotomy Course which covers all the competencies set out in CHS132
- Recent experience in an acute medical / surgical ward or outpatient / A&E setting where Paediatric Venepuncture skills / Phlebotomy skills were required and used.
- Experience and ability to supervise / teach phlebotomy
- Willing and able to undertake HCA role
- Understanding of audit / customer services and willing to support sister / lead nurse in developing paediatric phlebotomy service at Cromwell hospital
Please note this is a part time position working 15 hours per week
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be competent to undertake the role of Phlebotomist / HCA
- Confidently and safely communicate patients care needs
- To assess the physical and psychological needs of each child / young person before, during and after any procedure, with appropriate involvement of their carer, to ensure that they have an understanding, appropriate to their age and development, and that sufficient support is provided.
- Identify when other health professionals, such as the Health Play Specialist, should be involved and ensure that appropriate preparation and support is provided.
- To ensure correct protocol for specimen requests are followed.
- To ensure the phlebotomy room is prepared at all times.
- At all times to ensure accuracy in collection, transportation and delivery to laboratory of all specimens.
About Bupa and The Cromwell Hospital
Located in the heart of Kensington, Bupa Cromwell Hospital is an international hospital committed to providing the highest quality healthcare for our patients. We are the preferred health care provider for leading consultants, complex patients, international and local patients alike. We deliver an unparalleled patient experience, tailored to cultural needs and are continuously improving best practice.
Bupa's purpose is helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives. Our status, as a company limited by guarantee with no shareholders, enables us to make our customers our focus, reinvesting our profits to provide more and better healthcare for current and future customers.
We employ over 84,000 people, principally in the UK, Australia, Spain, Poland, Hong Kong, Chile, Brazil, Saudi Arabia, India, New Zealand, Thailand and the US.
Around 70% of our revenue is from health insurance, with the rest from health and care provision. We fund healthcare around the world and run clinics, hospitals, dental centres, care homes and retirement villages in a number of countries.