Principal duties will include diagnosis, medical management of acute mental illness and the physical health care of patients admitted to the unit. They will also work closely with the community and home treatment teams to ensure safe and effective discharge planning.
Key Duties / Responsibilities:
- Provide medical assessments and treatment under the supervision of the consultant in the acute inpatient unit
- The post holder will be part of a team that seeks to develop a comprehensive assessment and treatment plan for patients admitted to the acute inpatient unit.
- Participate fully in multidisciplinary reviews, risk assessments and case discussions concerning patients under the care.
- Holding of family meetings
- Patient reviews including discussion re treatment options including psychology
- Conduct zoning meetings and ensure treatment plans including discharge plans followed through when consultant not present
- Participate in the 2nd on call rota. This is a non-resident rota that provides advice and supervision to first on call junior doctors. The post holder will also assess new admissions at weekends while on call
- The post holder is encouraged to develop his/her special interests and obtain further qualifications as appropriate.
- Participate actively in clinical audit and quality improvement work.
- Training undergraduate students and training grade doctors
- Each post holder must have a valid driving licence (or be able to make alternative appropriate arrangements).
- MBBS or equivalent
- GMC registration (or eligible to secure GMC registration)
- Minimum 4 years full time post graduate experience
- Minimum of 2 years of continuous General Psychiatry experience
- Knowledge of the specialty - acute inpatient psychiatric care
- Knowledge of clinical aspects of surgery
- Knowledge of management of common acute urological conditions
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary team
- Excellent communication skills