Cheswold Park Hospital is an independent provider of mental health care for men.
We offer specialist assessment and treatment for mental illness, personality disorder and learning disability all within a low or medium secure environment
We are currently looking for an experience Ward Manager with previous experience within a similar environment to join our team in provided high standards of patient care.
Here at Cheswold Hospital we have the following services:
•97 beds split into 8 dedicated 12 bed wards and 1 Independent Living Flat; each bedroom with an en-suite bathroom
•12 beds – Low Secure - Mental Illness Acute Service
•12 beds - Low Secure - Mental Illness Rehabilitation Service
•12 beds – Low Secure - Mental Illness (Rehabilitation and Forensic Assessment) Service
•12 beds - Medium Secure - Mental Illness and Personality Disorder
•24 beds - Low Secure - Personality Disorder Assessment and Treatment Ward
•24 beds - Medium Secure Learning Disability Service
•Each ward has a dedicated lounge, individual secure garden, dining room, laundry, kitchen, activity room, interview room and admin space.
•Our extensive therapy areas include: gymnasium, sports hall, shop, worship room, OT kitchen, IT room, music workshop, group rooms, horticulture etc.
Summary of Purpose
Responsible for a designated ward area, leading the nursing team, establishing the clinical agenda, monitoring standards and practice and striving to continually improve and develop clinical practice. Managing individual staff and encouraging / supporting their continued personal and professional development.
• Specifying clinical standards for nursing care which can be observed and measured.
• Monitoring clinical standards of nursing care.
• In conjunction with the Nursing Operations Manager, investigating all complaints, ensuring they are fully reported and recorded.
• Ensuring all incidents are documented and reported correctly and that relevant documentation is forwarded to the Nursing Operations Manager for processing.
• Ensuring that all clinical documentation / procedures comply with all applicable legislative and statutory requirements.
• Maintaining regular attendance at Multi-Disciplinary Team Meetings, CPA’s, Unit Manager Meetings and any other clinical forums relevant to the post.
• Participating in the assessment process of patients, both internally and externally.
• Acting at all times within NMC guidelines, Health and Social Care Act and the Mental Health Act including Code of Practice; ensuring that all nursing staff on your ward also comply.
• Maintaining the ward environment to a high standard to ensure enhanced patient care.
• Ensuring every patient has an individualized package of care, which includes a robust activity programme.
• Resourcefully developing ward based activities and ensuring that all nursing staff actively encourage and promote patient involvement.
• Actively encourage and promote patient involvement through the provision of community meeting, planning meetings and surveys.
• Ensure staffing levels are sufficient to meet the needs of the pathway and are within staffing ladders and budget.
• Ensure that all patients have up-to-date Care plans containing risk assessments that address all areas of need and are regularly reviewed and evaluated.
• Ensure that all patients have outcome measures regularly updated as part of their Care Planning and that these are fed into CQUIN where required.
• Ensure all adverse and serious untoward incidents (SUI) are reported and subject to the appropriate level of review.
• Ensure that lessons learned from SUI reviews are communicated effectively and review any policies should they require it.
• Lead on Safeguarding for the Unit ensuring that all staff take appropriate and timely action where required and that all issues are well documented and learning reviewed.
• Co-ordinate and lead on all CQC visits to the Unit, assist in the preparation of responses to reports and ensure an action plan is in place and acted upon within timescales.
• Participating in working groups, quality assurance initiatives and the development and review of policies and procedures.
• Carrying out regular audits of clinical and management practice, both at ward level and hospital wide.
• As a result of regular audits, initiating any changes required to improve the service and patient care.
• Inclusion in a twenty four hour Senior Nurse On Call Rota.
• Ensure all relevant KPI’s are met.
• Co-ordinate referrals and admissions to optimise budget targets and ensure assessments are completed within timescales.
• Assist in the marketing of the Service through networking opportunities and liaison with visiting Case Managers.
• Act as a point of contact for all Commissioners enquiries, complaints and co-ordinate responses if required.
• Promote Cheswold Park Hospital’s services and innovative practice.